History

The Church of the Ascension began as Mission Station in 1954.

1956
Ascension was designated an Organized Mission.

A picture of the Ascension Shield

The Ascension Shield
Designed by Dot Stuart

Rev. Josiah W. Ware, Jr. named first full-time vicar.
Groundbreaking for first church building.

1957
Ascension’s first service in its own building.

1960
Ascension received Parish status.
Rev. Mr. Ware was called as the first rector.
Education building was completed.
Ascension Episcopal Kindergarten established.

1970
Rev. Edmund D. Campbell, Jr. called as Ascension’s second rector.

1972
Rev. Robert N. Lockard was called as Ascension’s third rector.
Parking area paved.

1974
Old Sanctuary (Ware Hall) expanded.
First pipe organ installed.

1986
Construction began on a new sanctuary building in the traditional English design.

1987
New sanctuary building and furnishings were dedicated.

1999
New Steiner-Beck pipe organ was installed in the new sanctuary building.

2000
After 28 years as rector of Ascension, the Rev. Mr. Lockard retired.
Search process for a new rector was begun.
The Right Rev. Robert O. Miller served as interim rector during this period.

2001
Rev. R. Craig Smalley was called as Ascension’s fourth rector.

2004
A generous gift from Margie Terrill was received and used to fund remodeling of the
Ascension campus and establish a fund to support various outreach ministries.

2006
The Rev. Mr. Smalley accepted a call to be a canon at the Cathedral Church of the Advent.
Rev. Stephen McWhorter was called as interim rector.
Search process for a new rector was begun.

2007
The Rev. Barry Vaughn called as second interim rector.
The Rev. Stephen Hood called as fifth rector.